Saturday, August 7, 2010

Banana Nut Cupcakes with Cinnamon + Honey Frosting


Whew, thank god the week is finally over. Now a new one is about to begin and I thought I would at least end this one on a high note by posting a new recipe. Last week I was desperate for a cupcake and I had yellow cake mix and bananas, so once again I decided to make Banana Nut cupcakes, only this time I made regular sized cupcakes since I can pretty much eat a dozen mini cupcakes on my own :-) Or at least I felt like I might at the time.
So since the recipe wasn't new I decided to use a new icing recipe. A few months ago I went to Savannah for a visit and I went to one of my favorite stores the Savannah Bee Company they carry a full line up of different flavored honey's and all are amazing. The store itself is a sight to be seen, they have a oversized honey comb where children can go and play, a full honey bar where you can taste each honey with a choice of local cheese, apples, and raw honey comb, or you can view a informative honey film while you shop. On my last trip I picked up some of their Winter White honey since I like sweets it was love at first sight. It is unlike any other honey I have ever tasted, it is creamy and has a hint of cinnamon in it. I knew right away it would be great in a dessert so I bought two of the 3 oz bottles (since I flew with a carry on, hah) and I was on my merry way.
So you can imagine how excited I was when I opened the cupboard and saw the honey staring me in the face. Rather then using regular honey as I had originally planned on and would have been delightful I am sure, I thought I could really make it spectacular by using the winter white honey! This frosting is now one of my new favorites, and I hope you guys enjoy it as well.

For the cupcakes see my Banana Nut Mini post here and follow the cupcake recipe, you can make this regular sized or mini - up to you.

For the icing you will need:
  • 1 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 tablespoon of honey - if you can get your hands on some of the Winter White Honey then use that here.
  • 1/8 teaspoon of cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream
In a mixer fixed with a whisk attachment beat sugar, butter, honey, and cinnamon for 3-4 minutes. Once creamed together add the heavy whipping cream. Voila all done! I doubled the recipe for the amount of cupcakes I was making which was about 24.

If you like you can throw a few tablespoons of butter into a saute pan and brown, add some cut up bananas and a half a teaspoon of cinnamon. Heat through place in a bowl set aside until they cool to room temperature. Place one slice on top of each cupcake.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails